Have you ever googled your name? If not, you should. If you are looking for a job, there may be employers out there who are googling you.You may want to see what they can find out about you. Just put your name in quotes. "John Doe" in the search line and add the place in which you live, if you have a common name. I don't have to do that, my name is enough!
Also, you might find out some interesting information. There maybe someone else with your name or you may find some web sites on which you have left a comment.
You should also google your email address. When looking through resumes, many employers google names and email addresses to see what they can find out about prospective employees.
When my niece Robin met her future husband, I googled his name (which is fairly common) and the town he lived and the branch of military in which he served. I found his personal blog. I decided he was a pretty nice guy from reading about what he had written before he had even met Robin.
One employer found a myspace of a prospective employee in which she stated that she was not a people person, in fact, she hated people! It goes without saying that she didn't get the people-oriented job! Another employee was ruled out for a job opening when she posted a note about being bipolar and her trouble with always meeting the wrong men.
So really 'be careful little fingers what you type'!
And a piece of advice for the job hunter: Create a new email address just for your resume.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Good advice! I blogged about work once, but I try to avoid it - I don't want any evidence out there!
I just told a student that he needed to get a new email address for his resume. Yellowsnow just didn't work.
Post a Comment