Wednesday, June 18, 2008

....but I don't want to join the circus!

I once met up with an old friend who had grown up a few blocks away. She and her twin sister were good friends of mine back in the day. She told me of her life, how she had run away with a guy who worked for the circus. She told me tales of their travel, their troubles, and their fun times. Oh, the stories that she told! I wish I could remember them all to share with you.

Then she asked me about my life. What had I been doing the last twenty years? Well, my friend, I am afraid that in comparison to your life, my life has been pretty mundane, pretty normal, pretty well--- boring!

She just laughed and told me that after her life experiences, she had come to welcome the mundane life. Mundane, she said was a state of life that was very under-appreciated.


I think often of her remarks about a mundane life being a good life and she is right. There are many positive connotations to a mundane life. It doesn’t mean that you don’t live; it just means that there is not a lot of drama. No drama can be a good thing.

Sometimes life seems to pile too many servings of drama on our plate all at once. That is when I am really grateful for the ordinary days. It is then that I think, where did my mundane life go? I want it back!

No comments: