Friday, July 4, 2008

~Celebrate Freedom~



Happy Independence Day America! Thanks to all the military, past and present who make it possible to live free~!
The medals pictured above were given to me by one of Dad's friends. Mr. Roberson was one of the guys that met with Dad at the old Dairy Queen every once in awhile to discuss the war. He was also a patient where I work. But even before then, back in elementary school, he was one of my 'room mothers'... Well, they never called them 'room fathers'. His son Eddie was in my class. I remember Mr. Roberson taking us on a field trip and I was very fascinated because I had never seen anyone with a metal hook for a hand. He had lost his arm in WWII. He was in the European theater. It amazed me then, and still does, all he can do with his hook.
When Mr. Roberson would come in to the office, we would discuss the past and he told me about these medals. I have always thought that it was one of the nicest things that anyone had ever done for me was when he presented me with this pendent. He told me that I could wear them on Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, etc...
So celebrate today America and everyday for the freedoms we enjoy. Many have been wounded (my brave father among them) and many have died for America to remain independent!

No comments: