Saturday, March 15, 2008

Acorns anyone?












*******************************

Growing up we had three mimosa trees in the front yard and the house was framed by cedar trees. In the backyard, two gigantic sycamore trees sheltered the yard. Mimosa trees have a beautiful pink flower and the sycamore trees had big round seed balls that would litter the yard. The cedar trees were always plagued with bagworms. Daddy would assign us the job of picking bagworms off of the cedars. I hated that job!

So, many years later when we were trying to think of what trees to plant in our yard, I took this into consideration. No more bagworms, so no cedars. No more seed balls, so no more sycamore trees. Mimosas were nice, but not as sturdy as an oak…Oak trees were nice, deep-rooted, long lifespan trees. They would be a good shade tree for our yard, so we planted two in front yard and one in the backyard...... What were we thinking! I have never been exposed to oak trees before and I just thought they were good sturdy shade trees with a few cute little acorns. Ha! Now, all these years later, we are plagued with acorns in biblical proportions! It is treacherous, torturous even, to walk across the front yard barefoot. The last few days, Mike and I have been trying to put a dent into the acorn population. Too bad they are not edible like pecans, or medicinal or something. If we had a dollar for every acorn, we would indeed be rich. Our yard is squirrel heaven. Anyone need them for deer feed, decorations or something?

No comments: