Sunday, December 21, 2008

Christmas cookies

Here is one of my favorite recipes for Christmas cookies. When my kids were young, I was invited to a cookie exchange. The host, Jan Tucker, made this recipe but she made gingerbread men. I decided to personalize it and I have made gingerbread reindeer for many years. This has become a tradition at our house. This is the best gingerbread recipe that I have ever tasted. Recipe follows:
Jan's Gingerbread Cookies
1 cup butter 1 1/2 cup sugar 1 egg 4 tsp. grated orange peel (in spice bottle)
2 T dark corn syrup 3 cups flour 2 tsp baking soda 1 tsp ginger
2 tsp cinnamon 1/2 tsp cloves 1/2 tsp salt.
Cream butter, sugar. Add egg, orange peel, corn syrup. Add remaining ingredients. Cover and chill in refrigerater till cold. Roll out~ cut out. Bake 375 for 5 to 6 minutes. Decorate! Enjoy! Red hots as part of decoration add a great flavor to the gingerbread.

No comments: