Friday, February 15, 2008

Homework assignment

Forty years ago, (I always thought people who said that were REALLY old and now it's me saying it and me who's old) when I went to Jefferson Elementary, I had a sweet 5th and 6th grade English teacher, Mrs. B. She always dressed impeccably. I thought her closet must be huge because I never saw her wear the same outfit twice and of course, she had all the perfect accessories.

Step forward to present day and the same little lady, now 93 years old , is a patient in the office where I work. She came in this week, still dressed as if she walked off the runway. She was in a leopard and black suit with a rhinestone belt on her petite little frame and heels. She told me that she had a homework assignment for me! What! Homework! What could that be Mrs. B? Then she proceeded to tell me that she wanted me to write her obituary! What a tall order! When apparently, I looked shocked, she said, 'Well, you always have the nicest things to say about me, so I thought you would be just the one to write it'.

I will have to think about whether I want to accept that assignment. I may do a spoof and send it to her, just for a laugh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mark Steyn is a terrific writer of obituaries. Look at some of his work. Tim