Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Bein' Green is not just for Kermit anymore

"It's Not Easy Bein' Green" is a quote from Kermit the Frog. I never really thought about "being green" until all the news about conserving came to light. Being a child of Depression Era parents, I was always taught to conserve, "Turn out the lights" and reuse (even bathwater when we were kids, yuk!) and to recycle. I also wore hand-me-down clothes. Other than having new clothes on Easter Sunday, I think I was probably a teenager before I ever had any "new to me only" clothing.

I kind of like the idea of being green. It sounds better, than tightwad, parsimonious, stingy and the other various similar words that have negative connotations. Being all of these things means something positive now. I can hold my head high as I turn off unneeded lights, reuse plastic bags and as I grab the gift sack that my son is about to smash up and throw in the garbage, "that's reusable!" We need to help out the environment. We need to be green.

Kermit, it's really not too hard to be green, especially if you have had years of practice like me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We learned well, didn't we?
Janice