Thursday, June 10, 2010

Cinnamon Heaven

I made the best cinnamon rolls this week, (if I do say so myself)!~ I used Evelyn's recipe for Refrigerator Rolls that has been a family favorite for decades. Mom made these all the time and now Maurine usually carries on that tradition. I just added butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon and pecans... and made a cream chesse icing, adding powdered sugar and butter to the cream cheese. They tasted like Cinnabons.

Here is the recipe for the rolls. Then just doctor them up to become Yummy Cinnamon rolls.

1 1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup Crisco
1 pkg. yeast
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1 egg, lightly beaten
5 cups flour

Pour boiling water over sugar, salt and Crisco. Stir until Crisco is dissolved and cool mixture to lukewarm. Add yeast which has been dissolved in lukewam water and the egg. Mix well. Stir in flour to make a soft dough. Cover tighly and store in refrigerator until ready to use. When ready to use: punch down and roll out on floured board until 1/2 inch thick. Cut with a biscuit cutter or shape for rolls as desired. (Mom always made triangles and then rolled them up to form cresent rolls.) Allow to rise in a warm place until double in bulk, about 2 hours. Bake in a 425 oven for about 20 minutes. Makes 25 Parker house rolls.

If making cinnamon rolls, don't do like I did. I was about to put them in the oven, when I realized that I forgot to add .... the cinnamon... I dumped the pan in a plate, added a mixture of brown sugar and cinnamon on the bottom and then I and added more to the top and they turned out great!