Friday, October 12, 2007

Sugar Pie, Honeybunch!

Why is it that certain men and women feel free to spout out adjectives of the familiar kind to complete strangers? "Why yes sugar! Anything else you need honey? Well, babe, I don't think we can do that? Sweetheart, you look nice!"

Do women really like being talked to this way? Or men or anyone?

We had a FedEx guy in our office and when we would see the truck pull up, everyone would race to the back so we wouldn't have to be the one who signed for the packages. He would say, "Sign number 21, the same number as your age sweetie" etc.

I finally got up the nerve to tell him off. " You know women don't really liked to be talked to this way. It is demeaning. Flattery is one thing, but this is beyond that!" Well, he did improve. The next several times that he came in, he was much more tolerable.

Also, we had a vendor that called us all the time and he would call me terms of endearment! Once, he asked me to look something up and I said, "If you promise not to call me sweetheart, I will do it".

If you are not 100 years old or close to it, or a close friend or relative, and even then in most cases, do not call me sugarpie, honeybunch!