Saturday, November 13, 2010

Cold weather calls for hot soup~

Market Street was sampling this soup so I bought the ingredients and this is what we had for dinner.

Black Bean Jalapeno Sausage Soup

1 pound Windthorst Jalapeno Sausage, chopped coarsely (I removed the casing first)

1 medium onion, chopped
1 T minced garlic
1/2 cup sweet roasted red pepper, chopped
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
1 tsp ground cumin
2 T olive oil
2 1/2 to 3 cups of chicken broth
2-15 oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained. (I only used one can)
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large stock pot: Saute onions, garlic, peppers, pepper flakes, cumin and salt in oil for 10 minutes. Add broth. Simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes. Lightly mash beans with potato masher or hand blender to thicken. (I didn't do this)
Enjoy~ Mike said this recipe was a keeper. Very tasty!

No comments: